Monday, March 9, 2009

Vizquel playing different role with the Rangers

SUPRISE, Ariz. — Omar Vizquel's corner locker in the Texas Rangers clubhouse is fitting with his status as a 20-year veteran of the big leagues. But he's in spring training camp as a non-roster invitee expected to fill a utility position with the club this season.

Vizquel, who will be 42 next month, accepts the role because he still wants to play and because he views it as a transition to a coaching/managing career when he finally puts his Hall-of-Fame-worthy glove away for good.

"It's going to feel strange, watching all the games," he said. "It feels strange right now, coming in in the 5th inning and playing behind the other guys. I guess I still feel the enthusiasm on the field and the passion for the game."

Vizquel, who holds the major-league records for most double plays turned (1,657) and highest fielding percentage by a shortstop with 1,000 or more games at the position (.984), was not re-signed by the San Francisco Giants after a 2008 season in which he was slowed by recovery from knee surgery in spring training. He considered retirement, but was encouraged by his second half, hitting .304 after the All-Star break and .344 in September.

"For a while, when I was recovering from the knee, I was wondering if I could return in 100% shape," he said. "The second half last year, I found myself pretty strong again and having some fun, so I decided to give it another shot."

The locker next to Vizquel's is occupied by fellow Venezuelan Elvis Andrus, the 20-year-old prospect whose progress at shortstop prompted the move of All-Star Michael Young to third base.

Andrus, who was born seven months before Vizquel made his major-league debut, is learning every day from his childhood hero. "It's amazing. It's like a dream come true," Andrus says. "He's been a huge help … taking ground balls with him and asking him questions and following what he does."

Vizquel, who will start Friday's game at second base as he acclimates to the utility role, knows it probably is a transitional year for him. "I can sit and watch the game and analyze it. It gives me a beginning of a new career if I ever want to coach," he says.

And yet, he isn't saying this is definitely his last year. "It depends how I feel at the end. It depends how my body holds up and how my numbers are. Right now, I feel pretty good about the whole thing."

By Mike Dodd

Related Posts by Categories



Buy MLB Merchandise at our online MLB Shop DieHardFans.com

0 comments: